2017/18 Season are May 22 and 28, 2017 from 7-9pm!
Make Sure Your Voice is Heard!
Always dreamed of singing with SACRA/PROFANA? Now’s your chance!
This unique ensemble welcomes singers with excellent musicianship who have a strong commitment to ensemble singing. Since its debut in February of 2009, SACRA/PROFANA has rapidly earned a reputation as an exciting new voice in American choral music. We will be considering singers for core, core substitutes, and auxiliary membership. All core singers receive a stipend for rehearsals and performances and auxiliary members are utilized on a volunteer basis.
Requesting an Audition for Our Upcoming 9th Season:
The next audition date for new core and on-call core substitutes is for the 2017/2018 season, with the opportunity to be a seasonal member or contracted as needed, or to be included in auxiliary events. Audition days are as follows, with ten minutes assigned to each auditionee:
Monday, May 22 from 7-9pm
Sunday, May 28 from 7-9pm
First United Methodist Church of San Diego
2111 Camino del Rio S. San Diego, CA 92108
All voice parts are welcome. Season begins Fall 2017, with several opportunities available for summer engagements July-August 2017.
To request an audition or if you have any questions, please email Natalie Clegg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include in your email the following information:
- Your name
- Your specific voice part (Soprano 1, Tenor 2, etc.)
- A current vocal resume or listing of musical experience (including voice/instrumental training, choral, and solo work)
- Your preferred audition date (and time, if applicable)
What we look for:
- Considerable sight-reading skills and quick ability to learn challenging choral music
- A versatile vocal mechanism with the ability to sing with and without vibrato
- A positive attitude, willingness to learn new music and have fun, and a commitment to visually engaging, high-energy performances
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, and live locally (unless applicant is in the process of moving to San Diego)
Please be prepared to present the following:
- A solo audition piece of your choosing: of any style/genre that showcases your training, vocal technique, range, and strengths. May be performed from memory or with sheet music. An accompanist will be provided. Please bring a copy of your piece in the correct key, and email your selection for the accompanist at least one week before audition day. You will likely be asked to sing only 2 minutes of your piece.
- A prepared selection of choral music will be provided to you for advance preparation one week prior to your audition. You will be asked to sing the excerpt in a quartet with current SACRA/PROFANA members.
- A sight reading excerpt: provided at audition and sung with current SACRA/PROFANA members.
- Vocal exercises given by the Director to evaluate range and timbre. You may be asked to sing with or without vibrato at any time.
Time slots will fill up quickly, so make sure to reserve your audition slot soon. We look forward to hearing you all!