2016/17 Season are January 13th and 15th from 6pm-9pm!
Make Sure Your Voice is Heard!
This innovative ensemble welcomes singers with excellent musicianship who have a strong commitment to ensemble singing. Since its debut in February of 2009, SACRA/PROFANA has earned its reputation as an exciting new voice in American choral music. We commit to 18-24 Core singers per concert, establishing a contracted and consistent roster each season. If Core members are unavailable for an engagement, top Core substitutes are called in. All Core members and substitutes receive a stipend for rehearsals and performances. Our enthusiastic Auxiliary chorus is also utilized on a volunteer basis, another outlet for close involvement with SACRA/PROFANA.
Requesting an Audition for Core Substitutes*:
A successful audition round was completed in June, 2016, and we are now halfway through Season 8 of 2016/2017. This new audition opportunity after the New Year allows you to be heard and accepted as a top Core substitute to be contracted as needed, or to be included in Auxiliary events. Audition days are as follows, with ten minutes assigned to each auditionee:
*If you participated in June 2016 auditions and were accepted as Core Substitute, you may exclude yourself from this audition call. Your Core Sub status with Sacra/Profana will not change for the remainder of the season.
Friday, January 13th from 6pm-9pm
Sunday, January 15th from 6pm-9pm
First United Methodist Church
2111 Camino del Rio S. San Diego, CA 92108
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, and live locally (unless applicant is in the process of moving to San Diego). All voice parts are welcome. First rehearsal of 2017 will take place January 16.
*To request an audition, or if you have any questions, please email Elly Roseberry – Chorus Manager at email@example.com
Please include in your email the following information:
- Your name
- Your voice part
- A current vocal resume or listing of musical experience (including voice/instrumental training, choral, and solo work)
- Your preferred audition date (and time, if applicable)
*The strict deadline to submit materials for audition is DECEMBER 30, 2016.
What we look for:
- Considerable sight-reading skills and quick ability to learn challenging choral music
- A versatile vocal mechanism with the ability to sing with and without vibrato
- A positive attitude, willingness to learn new music and have fun, and a commitment to visually engaging, high-energy performances
Please be prepared to present the following:
- A solo audition piece of your choosing: of any style/genre that showcases your training, vocal technique, range, and strengths. May be performed from memory or with sheet music. An accompanist will be provided. Please bring a copy of your piece in the correct key, and email your selection for the accompanist at least one week before audition day. You will likely be asked to sing only 2 minutes of your piece so feel free to begin at any point.
- A prepared selection of choral music: to be provided one week prior to your audition. You will be asked to sing the excerpt in a quartet with current SACRA/PROFANA members.
- A sight reading excerpt: provided at audition and sung with current SACRA/PROFANA members.
- Vocal exercises given by the Director: requested in audition to evaluate range and timbre. You may be asked to sing with or without vibrato at any time.